5 November 2010

Enjoy craic, we shall.

Craic = The Art of Conversation

I've been feeling a little bit "off" lately, and not quite my normal, social, bubbly self.  I think I can partially credit this to some of the changes coming my way.  Sometimes, it just takes me a little while to adjust.  I think you can all relate.

But, off or not off, I made a commitment to come out of my shell in preparation for this trip.  Afterall, I simply cannot be that shy, sullen blonde girl, slowly sipping her half drunk beer in the corner of  O'Conners, or Kennedys, or some such aptly named establishment.  I must....I Must...I MUST be ME - conversing with locals, making friends with my brethren, finding some charming old man with a handsome son (and swoon-worthy accent) who wants to show me how he herds sheep...or harvests peat...or drives his pony & trap.  And the half drunk beer?  Nonsense.  Bartender, please...one more drink.  (Yes, I just inserted a little Dave Matthews Band pun.  Sorry.  No, I shan't apologize.  YOU are the one choosing to read this, afterall.  Know your author.)

Here's the thing:  Megs and I will have NO problem with this.  In my heart of hearts, I know this.  The only problem will be that we have a humor that is all our own.  We have a history of making words/phrases up, and then using them as if they make ANY SENSE AT ALL.  Some examples from the past:

Homojo - our "sense", if you will, of one another's thoughts, feelings, emotions
The eagle has landed. - Code for a certain someone we fancied in college.  There were many more phrases.
Angerland - Ireland.  Not cause it's angry...just...ummm...Megs?
mwuuuaaaahhhhh - Dinosaur speak.  We seriously used to talk in baby dinosaur speak.  Like twins.
Finger-worthy - A man worthy of family consideration. (After an absinthe drink, I somehow had an epiphany that a family can only have as many members as you have fingers on a hand.  So you want to pick the people who take up those fingers wisely.  Makes absolutely no sense)

*I recognize this seems completely retarded.  These things just happen over 18 years of friendship.

And finally...

Be Not Eel Food.

The story goes something like this:

"_________", Kalena taunted.
"Oh, yeah? Well, I'll feed you to the eels," shot back Megan with vengeance.
"I AM NOT EEL FOOD!" shouted Kalena.

Long story, eh?  Explanation:  We have started using the phrase "I am not eel food" when we feel we are being treated unfairly, to remind us of our worth...and I think it reminds us how much we value one another.  We know that, no matter what, we are stuck with each other for life.  It's just the way it's going to be.

I think it could catch on!  Ireland is the perfect place to test it out.  We'll start it with the craic.

Be not eel food, my friends.  I love you.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Be not gone for too long! We will miss you friend! But keep writing. A lot. And using a ton of punctuation. Because it makes me feel like I'm talking to you. And it's charming.